Sunday, May 25, 2014

Delayed Reaction: What's Eating Gilbert Grape

The Pitch: Johnny Depp needs to be brooding more often. Make it happen.

What Took Me So Long: Leo playing a handicapped kid has reached punchline status and actively deterred me for a while.

Why I Saw It: For all the snide jokes, Leonardo DiCaprio is great in this. Had I never seen him before, I'd be surprised to find out he didn't have a little something wrong in his head. I know this is the Johnny Depp period that purists are supposed to love but I like that he smiles these days. He is perfectly equipped to play the angst-filled Gilbert. It was nice seeing John C. Reilly pop up too.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: When it was over, I couldn't help but wonder "what's the point?". I know this was adapted from a book and I have to assume that the book does a much better job explaining what I was supposed to take away from it. A lot of the dialogue is the type of thing that works well in a book, but when it is spoken, sounds like the characters are quoting a book (weird, right?). I'm always bummed out when a movie has a character with a shitty life and it ends with his life now being only bearable. Sure, call me simple-minded. I don't care. I like me a good, happy Hollywood ending.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment