Saturday, May 24, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Sophie's Choice

The Pitch: A coming of age story, then a romance, then Nazis being Nazis.

What Took Me So Long: Well, I already knew what the choice was, so it lost a lot of its intrigue.

Why I Saw It: "Sophie's Choice" is almost too much of an idiom for me to not have seen this. Then again, that argument still hasn't gotten me to read Catch 22. Meryl Streep is wholly deserving of the praise she gets for playing Sophie. I kept expecting Kevin Kline to crack a smile at some point and he never did. I suppose that's called commitment.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I can't say I'm a huge fan of the back and forth between the present and Sophie's past. It's interesting to see what happened to her and the moment when she had to choose between her children is heartbreaking, but I don't always see how it applies to what is going on in her life in the movie's present. I also don't understand the point of the evil of the Nazi forcing her to choose. At times this movie is just a mixed bag of dramatic moments with only a loose larger story in mind.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment