Saturday, December 28, 2019

Quick Reaction: They Shoot Horses, Don't They?


I feel like 50% of my movie viewing is so I can understand references from other movies and shows. This movie is a great example of that. I only saw this because of the "They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?" episode of Gilmore Girls. Both that episode and this movie  use a dance marathon as a back drop. While the Gilmore Girls episode has some serious parts, namely Dean breaking up with Rory, it's not as dark as They Shoot Horse, Don't They? That movie turns a fun idea like a dance marathon into a 1000-hour death march, finally ending with a murder (or assisted suicide, depending on how you look at it). I liked the movie more than I expected, although I wasn't expecting the darkness.

Verdict: Weakly Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment