Saturday, December 21, 2019

Quick Reaction: Ratatouille


While I've seen this movie before, I retained very little about it at the time. Then I listened to a podcast series about Brad Bird and realized I was doing myself a disservice by not revisiting it. Ratatouille is an absolutely absurd idea that requires a lot of work to set up. But, the endgame is worth it. The story is sweet. The relationship between Remy and Linguini is well-handled. The ending sets this movie apart. The moment when Anton Ego first tastes the ratatouille and gets transported back to his childhood is so perfect and understated. And, as someone who writes my thoughts about movies, I think I'm legally required to mention how Anton Ego is one of the best depictions of a critic in fiction. Normally, critics are presented as hateful people with inflated egos. Ego's review of Remy's meal admits the limitations of criticism and where there is value in it (helping to shed light on something great and overlooked). I still don't think it's an entirely accurate take on criticism - personally, I write these as an attempt to process and understand the work, not to act as an arbiter of taste - but it's as close as anything I've seen. This is just a great movie.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment