Saturday, December 7, 2019

Delayed Reaction: The Parent Trap (1998)


The Pitch: And introducing Lindsay Lohan, the next clean-cut Disney star who won't go through any personal turmoil as a result of her fame.


Two girls discover they are twins and try to reunite their parents.

It's very different watching this movie as a child vs. as an adult. This was my first time seeing the movie in nearly two decades, and it's the first time that the horror of this situation struck me. Not only did these two parents prevent their daughters from meeting her other parent because of their stubborn pride (I guess); they also completely hid that she have a twin sister. That's insane. Like, custody-revoking level insane. There's also the fact that Natasha Richardson and Dennis Quaid are not a couple who should give it another go. They were smart to break up.

This is a premise from an era of Disney that was even more about ridiculous high concepts than now. I mean, the original Parent Trap came out the same year as The Absent-Minded Professor and Babes in Toyland. The early 60s were weird. So, let's just call every single thing about this plot my "One Big Leap" for the movie. Otherwise, I'll never be able to get past it.

I forgot how charming this movie is. Lindsay Lohan is crazy good in a film-debut, especially when you factor in the fact that she's playing her own twin and adopting a British accent. It's no wonder she became Disney's go-to kid star for the next 7 years (Don't forget about Herbie Fully Loaded). The whole movie is silly and ridiculous but in a pleasant way.
It is way too long though. I thought it was a typo when I saw it was 2h8m before I watched it. This movie should max out at 1h45m. And it's easy to see what should be trimmed. Take out the thematically redundant camping trip. We already get that Elaine Hendrix sucks and we already know where the story is going by then.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment