Sunday, December 22, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Toy Story 2


The Pitch: But, why can't the Toy Story sequel be made for theaters?

The gang must rescue Woody after he's stolen by a toy collector.

I really didn't expect this movie to force me to confront my mortality. Yet, that's exactly what happened, and in a couple different ways. First, there's the part I was ready for. The main thing I remembered about this movie was the "When She Loved Me" sequence with Jessie. That's a gut punch of a scene, and it got me thinking about the passing of time and obsolescence.You know, the standard Toy Story ennui. Second, the aspect I wasn't prepared for, was realizing how long it had been since I'd seen the movie. I last saw this movie when it was in theaters 20 years ago. I'm too young for that to be true (right!?). I can't be talking about movies in terms of two decades ago. More importantly, there's no way this movie is 20 years old. That would mean I'm...oh god.

I'm not sure that I agree with the ever growing sentiment that this is the best Toy Story movie. For me, the first movie is too tidy and nimble for me to pick anything else, not to mention the historical significance, which I can't separate from my assessment. This is damn good though. The animation holds up well for - sigh - 20 years ago. Adding Joan Cusack to the already unimpeachable voice cast is an excellent choice.

It's crazy to think that this was ever going to be a straight-to-video release. We forget that, up to that point, Disney's standard procedure was to release animated sequels under the Disney Toon banner and release them straight to video. In 1999, Pixar was still independent from Disney, who only handled the distribution of their films. It made sense for them to follow Disney's operating procedure though, since it was a proven model. I'm not sure of all the machinations that led to Toy Story 2 getting a theatrical release and becoming the third highest-grossing movie of the year, but it was a very messy production. I'm glad it all worked out.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment