Friday, December 27, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Earthquake Bird

The Pitch: Are you also frustrated by how filmmakers have such a hard time finding something for Alicia Vikander and Riley Keough?

A female expat living in Japan gets caught up in a relationship with a mysterious man and the disappearance of a friend of hers.

I want to see Alicia Vikander in everything I watch. She's talented. She's beautiful. And I've never seen her take a performance off. Except for the few times she's been used right, she specializes in being the best part of OK-to-bad movies. I'm less enthusiastic about Riley Keough. The main reason I know her at this point is because she's Elvis Presley's granddaughter and her name keeps popping up in movies I sort of remember (and Mad Max: Fury Road). The idea of a quiet, Japan-set mystery thriller sounded great. Frankly, it sounded pretty similar to The Perfection, which turned out to be a blast.

Sadly, the payoff of the movie wasn't worth the time put in. It's a detached movie. I was aware the whole time that I wasn't being told an incomplete version of the truth. Vikander had a secret. For a while, it looked like a psychological thriller, appearing to be about Vikander descending into madness. Then, when everything is finally revealed, the truth is the exact thing you figured it would be at the beginning. It dressed itself up like a smarter movie before revealing that it's a pretty straightforward one. I was surprised when the end credits started, because I kept expecting some bigger reveal or twist. It feels like the book this was based on either focused more on the crime element or only touched on it as a way to get to more emotional truths. The amount of focus it gets in the movie is very disjointed; like they couldn't decided whether or not it should be an afterthought.

Probably the most damming thing I can say about the movie is that it wastes Alicia Vikander. There's nothing about her role that couldn't be done by any competent performer. It's a strange use of an Oscar winner.

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment