Sunday, December 8, 2019

Quick Reaction: Dawson City: Frozen Time


This is a dry little documentary that was a nice enough way to burn a couple hours. Several years back, a bunch of very old film footage was unearthed in Dawson City, Alaska. So, director Bill Morrison decided to tell the story where this film footage came from, how it was lost, and how it was found again. This covers Dawson City, from its initial boom as a gold rush town in the late 1800s, to when the lost film roll was found. It's filled with factoids about different famous people who passed through there and the history of different landmarks in town. It reminded me a lot of what I loved about A Ghost Story. I think it so interesting to think about the history of a single location. As the saying goes, "if theses walls could talk...". There's a pretty specific audience for this movie, which is essentially putting a Wikipedia article to pictures. I'm not even the exact right audience for it. It's successful at what it aims to be: meditative and informative. I did come out of watching this in a bit of a haze. I sat in my room for a couple minutes afterwards suddenly curious about who lived where I lived 100 years ago. So, that's the kind of movie this is.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment