Saturday, December 21, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Noelle

The Pitch: Are you telling me that Anna Kendrick really hasn't made a Christmas movie before? That can't be right. What about...well, yeah, I guess Into the Woods was just a Christmas release, not a Christmas movie...How about this movie called Happy Christmas? What's that about?...Oh, no, that's not the version of Anna Kendrick that should be in a Christmas movie. OK, well, put something together for her then. Could Santa have a sister or something?

After the new Santa Claus goes missing days before Christmas, his sister, Noelle, goes to Phoenix to find him.

I still never know whether to label these streaming releases as Movie Reactions or Delayed Reactions. I'm sticking with Delayed for Noelle, simply because I don't have a ton to say about it.

This is an Anna Kendrick movie for Anna Kendrick fans. She's bubbly and nice, with just a hint of sarcasm. She isn't really taking the movie seriously, but no one wants the super-earnest version of this movie anyway. She plays off Shirley MacLaine, Bill Hader, and Kingsley Ben-Adir well. No one is using their fast ball for this, and that's fine. Billy Eichner is a little more subdued than I expected. This needed two more Billy Eichner yells than it had.
This does play more like a nicely produced TV movie than a theatrical feature. In 1998-speak this plays more like a Wonderful World of Disney Sunday night movie on ABC than a Thanksgiving release on 2300 screens. Disney's had this movie in the can since January 2018, so it's nice that they had Disney+ as an option rather than trying to sneak it into theaters.

Noelle is incredibly charming. It's cheesy and derivative. It's not an indispensable addition to any Christmas movie catalog, but it's a welcome addition to mine. I'll happily watch Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader in whatever stupid movie they want to make. I welcome the chance to smile politely at all the inoffensive jokes. I'm all for the cutesy reindeer hijinks. I'm a sap for real Christmas movies, and I liked this.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment