Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The Handmaiden

The Pitch: A petty thief is hired to fraud a Japanese heiress...and then stuff happens.


I picked up the Filmspotting podcast recently (because the other dozen podcasts I'm subscribed to somehow aren't filling enough of my time), and they went crazy for this movie in 2016. I wasn't at all aware of it before that, so I decided to watch it as a sort of test of how my tastes align with the Filmspotting crew's.

If you haven't seen it, the less you know the better. The story reveals itself in waves and changes the perspective of the characters constantly. It's a clever script and not at all what I was expecting. I hesitate to say "twist" because that immediately causes some people to only focus on "figuring it out" rather than enjoying the film. The story is twist-y though. There's a lot to reinterpret as you watch.
A few warnings. It is a foreign film, all in Korean and Japanese. It's pretty long. The nearly 2 and a half hour run time nearly made me late for a movie showing I was trying to make at a theater. There's some intense nudity. I was taken aback by some of it. It's not bad nudity or anything. I just wasn't ready for it. Let's just say I get why the film was unrated now.

The lead actresses, Min-hee Kim and Tae-ri Kim, are both excellent. If I ever get to watching modern Japanese and Korean films more often, I'll be looking for them. On the technical side, the film looks great. I didn't know it at the time, but this is from the same writer/director as Oldboy. That makes sense, although this is nowhere near as violent.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment