Monday, September 4, 2017

The Emmy B-Team: Variety Series and Special

How bad are the Emmy nominations? This question comes up every year when the nominations are announced and everyone has a long list of snubs and shows that didn't deserve nominations. The way people talk about the nominations, you start to wonder if the Emmy voters have watched anything in the last year or if they are just rubber stamping the shows they picked the year before or choosing the last buzzy show they heard about. I certainly had that opinion. I still kind of do. That's was drove me to make what I call my Emmy B-Teams.

In case you are new to this, the idea is pretty straightforward. I go through the Emmy nomination ballot for a bunch of categories and put together the strongest group I can among what wasn't already nominated for the Emmy. I call this group my B-Team. I then compare the Nominees to my B-Team and choose a winner based on which is a stronger group of performers/shows/etc. The idea is to see how badly chosen the nominees actually are. This serves two purposed:
1) To see how bad the nominees really are. The first year I did this, my theory was that, as a very informed TV viewer, it would be easy for me to find 5-7 names that the Emmy voters missed. I'll go ahead and say now that the Emmy voters, especially outside the Comedy and Drama categories, tend to do a pretty good job picking most of the best options in a category.
2) To highlight some other great work from the last year. With the explosion of new content over the last few years, 5 or 6 nominees just isn't enough to cover all the great work being done, especially on lesser seen shows that have trouble putting together enough support to be nominated.

As far as who I pick for my B-Team, please disagree with me. I watch a lot of TV, but I miss much more than I see. My B-Team is exactly that: My B-Team. In other words, I'm stacking the deck in the B-Team's favor. If I'm picking the 5-6 shows that I like the best and the B-Team still loses, that means the Nominee list is pretty damn strong.

The Variety categories have settled down after the host turnover of last year and the category split the year before that. The Daily Show's DNA is still all over the talk series category, the sketch category has shifted back to more traditional powers (namely SNL), and the variety special nominations feature an eclectic mix. It was easier to come up with good B-Teams in many of these categories than I expected.

(Final Note: I'm sure that I'll mention this more than a few times, but all my picks are based on who is submitted and in which category. For example, I would've considered the Halt and Catch Fire episode "The Threshold" a lock for my writing and directing by B-team, but it wasn't submitted. Thus, I can't include it. Similarly, Ted Danson would be a great supporting actor in a comedy contender on The Good Place. However, he submitted himself as a lead, so that's all I can consider him for)


Previously:
2014 Edition | 2015 Edition | 2016 Edition
Why You Should Dismiss the Emmys
The Scruff
Reality Shows

* Indicates a show that I haven't watched this season.
# Indicates a show I've seen before, not this season.



Variety Talk Series
Nominees:
# Full Frontal With Samantha Bee
# Jimmy Kimmel Live
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
* The Late Late Show With James Corden
# The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
# Real Time With Bill Maher

B-Team
@ Midnight with Chris Hardwick
# Conan
* The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
* Late Night with Seth Meyers
* The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
* Throwing Shade

Thanks to the splitting of the Variety categories, there's not as much competition here as there could be. Conan can reasonably match up against Jimmy Kimmel Live. I'm giving Kimmel the edge because of the touching monologue about his son's birth. Late Night with Seth Meyers is a smarter show than The Late Late Show with James Corden. It's a wider gap between The Late Show and The Tonight Show in the former's favor. Throwing Shade gets a moral high ground over Real Time with Bill Maher. As improved as Trevor Noah's Daily Show is, Last Week Tonight is still the class of the category and the likely overall winner. Full Frontal and @ Midnight don't easily compare. I prefer @ Midnight, but I'm willing to cede the victory to Full Frontal
Winner: Nominees. 
It's closer than I thought it would be. Last Week Tonight and making up for the Full Frontal snub last year has me leaning toward the nominees.

Variety Sketch Series
Nominees:
* Billy On The Street
* Documentary Now!
* Drunk History
# Portlandia
Saturday Night Live

B-Team
* Maya & Marty
The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail
* Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return
* The President Show
Tosh.0
* Tracey Ullman's Show

This is a much weaker category with Inside Amy Schumer and Key & Peele gone. SNL is having a banner season. Portlandia is pretty embedded at this point. Drunk History has a strong following, as does Billy on the Street. I've been saving Documentary Now! for when I've seen enough of the documentaries the episodes are based on. The B-Team is weak. It's a little surprising that MST3K: The Return couldn't make the cut. I liked The Meltdown but understand why it was overlooked. The rest of the B-Team is weak. Tracey Ullman is a Variety favorite, but I've heard nothing about this show. Maya & Marty was a summer throwaway. Tosh.0 is popular and a little under-credited for its solid writing. I'm not sure what The President Show even is, which should give you an idea of how hard it was to fill this roster.  
Winner: Nominees. 
There's not enough depth in the category to go with the B-Team or a signature series that was overlooked to rally behind.

Variety Special
Nominees:
* Carpool Karaoke Primetime Special 2017
* Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Presents Not The White House Correspondents' Dinner
Louis C.K. 2017
* Sarah Silverman: A Speck Of Dust
* Stephen Colbert's Live Election Night Democracy's Series Finale: Who's Going To Clean Up This Sh*t ?

B-Team
* Justin Timberlake + the Tennessee Kids
Mike Birbiglia: Thank God For Jokes
Jim Jeffries: Freedumb
Iliza Shlesinger: Confirmed Kills
Bill Burr: Walk Your Way Out

The nominees look about as expected. 2 specials about Trump/the election. 2 stand-up specials from the two more recognizable names. And, Carpool Karaoke, just because. I went pretty predictable with my B-Team. I've heard nothing but great things about the concert special for Justin Timberlake and the Tennessee Kids (also, Jonathan Demme's final film). Otherwise, it's a bunch of stand-up specials and one man shows I've seen. I could've gone deeper too. Hasan Minhaj, Trevor Noah, Michael Che, and Amy Schumer all had good specials. I preferred Birbiglia, Jeffries, Schlesinger, and Burr this year.
Winner: B-Team. 
C.K.'s special wasn't his best. Carpool Karaoke doesn't need to go on for that long. And, I'm getting a little exhausted by all the Trump. Perhaps the B-Team is getting my pick for the escapism.

Writing - Variety Series
Nominees:
* Full Frontal With Samantha Bee
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
* Late Night With Seth Meyers
# The Late Show With Stephen Colbert
Saturday Night Live

B-Team
# CONAN
* The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
* Documentary Now!
# Jimmy Kimmel Live
* Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return

If you check my variety series rants a few categories up, you can tell that I have no qualms with this. All the best written variety series were nominated. Maybe an argument could be made for the Daily Show or Documentary Now!
Winner: Nominees. 
It's going to come down to Oliver or Bee to win, but there's not a bad pick to be found.

Writing - Variety Special
Nominees:
* Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Presents Not The White House Correspondents' Dinner
Louis C.K. 2017
* Sarah Silverman: A Speck Of Dust
* Stephen Colbert's Live Election Night Democracy's Series Finale: Who's Going To Clean Up This Sh*t ?
* 70th Annual Tony Awards

B-Team
Jim Jeffries: Freedumb
Bill Burr: Walk Your Way Out
Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
Mike Birbiglia: Thank God for Jokes
Trevor Noah: Afraid of the Dark

Most or less the same nominees here as the overall Variety Special category, except Tony Awards replace Carpool Karaoke - a lateral movie. I'm more interested in coming up with the B-Team though. I didn't include Amy Schumer (The Leather Special) or David Cross (Make America Great Again!), because frankly, their specials are under-written. They're getting to that point when the audience is too on board with them and they don't have to write much to get a laugh (for the record. C.K.'s special got dangerously close to that as well). Maria Bamford (Old Baby) and Iliza Sclesinger (Confirmed Kills) milk a lot of their laughs through performance, not writing. I almost included Vir Das: Abroad Understanding for having to write an act that worked in front of an American and an Indian audience, but I'm picking for quality, not degree of difficulty. So, I'm very pleased with the B-Team I did select, especially Hasan Minhaj and Mike Birbiglia's one man shows.  
Winner: B-Team. 
I've said in past years what I still hold true. I'm picking whichever one has more stand-up because writing is so much more important to those specials than the other choices in Variety Special. It's a little closer this year, but the stand up specials in the Nominee field aren't as good.

Directing - Variety Series
Nominees:
* Drunk History ("Hamilton")
* Jimmy Kimmel Live ("The (RED) Show")
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver ("Multi-Level Marketing")
* The Late Show With Stephen Colbert ("Episode 0179")
Saturday Night Live ("Host : Jimmy Fallon")

B-Team
@ Midnight with Chris Hardwick ("Episode 4021") [Election night episode]
* The Daily Show with Trevor Noah ("Episode 22066")
* Documentary Now! ("Juan Likes Rice & Chicken")
* The Late Late Show With James Corden ("Episode 0250")
* The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon ("Episode 0600")

This is always a hard one because direction is barely noticed in the Variety talk shows. So, I've got Documentary Now! propping up the B-Team and the tag team of SNL and Drunk History for the nominees.
Winner: Nominees. 
Mostly because of SNL.

Directing - Variety Special
Nominees:
* Full Frontal With Samantha Bee Presents Not The White House Correspondents' Dinner
The Oscars
* Stephen Colbert's Live Election Night Democracy's Series Finale: Who's Going To Clean Up This Sh*t ?
* Tony Bennett Celebrates 90: The Best Is Yet To Come

B-Team
* 2017 Billboard Music Awards
* Christmas in Rockefeller Center
* Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids
Louis CK: 2017
Super Bowl LI Halftime Show Starring Lady Gaga

I'm pretty sure that Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids is the only special on this list with an Oscar winning director. The Superbowl Halftime Show is always a big feat. And, again, while I know it's not really the fault of the direction, it's hard to award any group that includes this year's Oscars. 
Winner: B-Team. 
Because, in the case of a tie, the victory goes to the underdog.


-----
The weak choices in the Variety Special categories made the results close today. The Nominees beat the B-Teams 4-3. I wouldn't read to much into that. The B-Team victories were much closer than the Nominee wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment