Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Delayed Reaction: Broadcast News

The Pitch: A love triangle in a news room.

I wasn't very impressed with this film when I first saw it about a decade ago, but I also didn't remember it at all. That happens sometimes. I'll see a movie, think nothing of it, and forget about it. Then, I'll hear people go on and on about how great it is, so I'll watch it again, prepared to double down on not liking it (I'm a contrarian pissant by nature, after all). In cases like Broadcast News though. I was just plain wrong. Whatever 2007 Alex thought was very wrong. This is a delightful movie.

The balance of the three leads is incredible. Holly Hunter is the de facto protagonist, but she's also a complete mess. Competent at her job, but a mess. I want to hate William Hurt but he's so damn transparent, that's it's hard to. He admits as quickly as anyone that the system is unfairly favorable to him and that he's under-qualified. Albert Brooks is his own worst enemy. I don't think I've ever felt worse for a character than during his disastrous news broadcast. It's obvious that none of these characters ultimately belong together, but it's easy to get caught up in the moment. Also, the news production elements feel really authentic (or believable, at the very least). That's the kind of touch the film doesn't have to have but makes it great.

I'm very glad I decided to give this another chance.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment