Friday, September 23, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Mean Creek

The Pitch: Stand By Me without the parts that make you feel any better.

I really think that writer-director Jacob Aaron Estes watched Stand By Me and decided that it wasn't depressing enough.

I caught part of this movie about a decade ago. I'm not even sure how (I don't remember having any movie channels at the time. Was it on IFC? Did I even have that channel?). I saw a few minutes of it because I recognized the kid from Genius (Trevor Morgan), the girl from Lizzie McGuire (Carly Schroeder), the boy from The Amanda Show (Josh Peck), and a Culkin brother (Rory Culkin). Then I turned it off when it got dark and Peck dies. It's been a staple of my Netflix queue for years now and I finally decided to revisit it and see if some context makes it any less depressing.

It doesn't. This is a dreary movie and knowing his fate makes it even harder to watch for Josh Peck's character. Often, the movie  veers dangerously close to self-parody. The performances are pretty good for a bunch of young actors - Oh, I just realized that Scott Mechlowicz is the guy from Eurotrip! - and the low tech camera work fits the tone. I'd like to say that I didn't care for the movie but the fact that part of it has stuck with me for so many years means that I'm probably not done with it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment