Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Delayed Reaction: White Rabbit

The Pitch: Donnie Darko but less interesting.

Say what you will about Donnie Darko (it hasn't aged well), but it's memorable. The visuals get your attention, the dialogue is distinctive, and the cast continues to look better. White Rabbit really wants to be Donnie Darko. The main character (Nick Krause as Harlon) is kind of screwed up. He hears voices that make him question reality. There's a girl (Britt Robertson) who sets him off. Hell, he's even haunted by a rabbit. White Rabbit just doesn't do any of it all that effectively. I never got the sense that these voices from the comics he was hearing were more than just a personality quirk. Robertson's "betrayal" of Krause didn't seem so bad even in his warped perspective. And I never bought their friendship in the frist place. She was just sort of a manic pixie nightmare girl. I think most of it comes down to how removed Krause is the entire time. I think  director Tim McCann was trying to present Krause's character to the audience by following him when he really needed to get the audience inside his head...maybe? I don't know. All I can say is that I felt completely removed from the movie while I was watching it. So, the big moments (realizing Ryan Lee was dead, Krause shooting up his school) had no effect on me. It did kind of make me want to watch We Need To Talk About Kevin again, except that I have no desire to willingly depress myself that much.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment