Saturday, August 20, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Longest Ride

The Pitch: You know Nicolas Sparks, right? Well, here's another one.

How I Came Into It: I've been on a Britt Robertson kick since Tomorrowland. I'm not about to watch Under the Dome and I'm not in the mood to look for Life Unexpected. I already checked out Ask Me Anything. This is the logical next stop.

Why I Saw It: I like Britt Robertson. She has an Ellen Page vibe that I like. She's not doing anything that I wouldn't've thought she could pull off.
Hey, it's Alan Alda. I like Alan Alda. I'm not ready to think of Alan Alda as being this old. I can't stop that though. There's no chance that I'm actually remembering the difference between Arnold Schwarzenegger's son and Clint Eastwood's son(s?). Whoever this is, he's fine.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's not new to me that the Sparks adaptations aren't my preference. It is bothering me the level to with he self-plagiarizes (or "sticks to formula" or whatever you want to call it). A proper girl. A guy from the wrong side of the tracks. Telling stories in two different times. The lover left behind (always the guy, from everything I've seen). The Notebook. The Best of Me. Message in a Bottle. Safe Haven. A Walk to Remember. They all have it. There's a good chance that if he shook up the formula, one of them I could like. I'm not really the target audience though, so I get why that won't happen.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment