Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Delayed Reaction: All Good Things

The Pitch: There's this true story about this Robert Durst guy that is begging to be made into a movie.

How I Came Into It: The Jinx is phenomenal. If you have access to HBO I recommend seeing it as soon as you can. All Good Things is based pretty directly on the true story told in The Jinx. Andrew Jarecki made both. In fact, many of the interviews he collected while researching All Good Things went on to be used for The Jinx. These two projects are more linked than any non-franchises than I can think of.

Why I Saw It: Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Dunst are the highlights of the movie. Gosling really embraces the non-"pretty boy" roles like this. Knowing Durst as I do now, Gosling does a solid job recreating his mannerisms. The talking to himself is especially interesting given how The Jinx ends.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: All Good Things is a tough movie to make. I remember reviews of The Jinx saying that if Robert Durst wasn't a real person, you wouldn't believe he exists. That makes his story, especially a fictional adaptation of it (Gosling played a man named David Marks, not Robert Durst, after all), difficult to tell. And, if you haven't figured this out by now, The Jinx is so damn good that it has rendered Jarecki's earlier effort redundant.

So, what I'm trying to say is this. If you haven't seen this and don't know the story, don't bother watching All Good Things, find a few more spare hours somewhere, and watch The Jinx instead.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment