Sunday, August 14, 2016

Delayed Reaction: A.C.O.D.

The Pitch: A man copes with newly discovered issues caused by his parents' divorce when he was a kid.

How I Came Into It: It's hard to surprise me with a movie starring Adam Scott, Amy Poehler, Catherine O'Hara, Richard Jenkins, Clark Duke, Jane Lynch, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead with Adam Pally and Jessica Alba in small roles. I'm going to know about that one early. It was only a matter of when it would be available.

Why I Saw It: Adam Scott is an underutilized lead. He's ideal in that he can play the straight man and still get laughs. That's why Jason Bateman always has jobs lined up. Scott needs more of them too. There's a lot of old pros in this movie all playing up to expectations. I like how some of the smaller characters, Poehler and Ken Howard - the step-parents- got the biggest moments. I'm assuming the ending was meant to be unclear about who is getting married, in which case, good call.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's damn near a formula by now: If you take a bunch of TV all stars and seasoned character actors, add an inexperienced director, given no more that a couple million dollars for a budget, and  - voila, you get a movie that isn't funny enough to be a comedy or dramatic enough to be a drama, that's pretty easy to watch. Not every movie has to be memorable.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment