Friday, August 5, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Someone Marry Barry

The Pitch: Some friends try to pawn their annoying friend off on a woman for him to date.

How I Came Into It: Tyler Labine, Damon Wayans Jr., Thomas Middleditch, Lucy Punch, and Hayes MacArthur is a collection of names that I think favorably of. They are actors who have been one of my favorite parts of sitcoms I've watched (Mad Love, Happy Endings, Silicon Valley, Ben & Kate, and Perfect Couples respectively, in case you were wondering). Labine and Punch have the added bonus of movie performances I've loved (Tucker & Dale vs. Evil and Bad Teacher). In short, this is dripping with potential.

Why I Saw It: Sometimes the decision to see a movie comes down to me asking myself if I'd still enjoy the worst version of a movie with a collection of actors in it. In this case, I would. Someone Marry Barry isn't a great movie. It's enjoyable enough to watch while I'm editing other Delayed Reactions* though. Labine and Punch get to revel in their awfulness, which is something they both normally have to do on the sidelines. When you think about it, this movie has an interesting structure. Barry is the main character, but he's positioned like a supporting one. The trio of Wayans, Middleditch, and MacArthur essentially split the lead actor role, which moves Labine to the forefront. In that respect, the movie delivers on something that I'm always looking for in a Netflix pickup: what makes this different from all the other movies just like it?

*Yeah, I actually proofread these things and they still turn out like this. Scary, I know.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It would be nice for a comedy make me laugh more.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment