Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Delayed Reaction: I Love Trouble

The Pitch: This is some strange mix between The Pelican Brief and Up Close and Personal.

How I Came Into It: Isn't this the movie that everyone points to and laughs at when they remember that Nick Nolte was People's Sexiest Man Alive one year?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Only one thing matters: How well do Nolte and Julia Roberts play off one another. The answer is "pretty well". There's endless fun to be had with the "two competitors in a given field fall in love" (That's why Mr. and Mrs. Smith is so much fun to name just one other example). I looked at this as a RomCom first and a thriller second.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The extent to which women were fawning over Nolte is reminiscent to Barbara Streisand movies at the time (which solidifies my dislike of The Prince of Tides). It's a certain level of vanity above my threshold.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment