Thursday, December 27, 2018

Delayed Reaction: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs


The Pitch: A bunch of small ideas for Wild West stories that would work perfectly for a TV series anthology movie.

Six short films all about the Wild West.

One of my rules of thumb is that you need to see a Coen brothers movie twice before you can judge it with any clarity. The first time is to watch it as the movie you think it is. The second is to watch it for what it is. If you watch Hail, Caesar! once, it's a hectic comedy about Hollywood in the 50s that doesn't really go anywhere. If  you watch it a second time, it's a pretty hilarious love letter to the Golden Age of the studio system and all the absurdities around it. One viewing of Inside Llewyn Davis is the misadventures of a self-destructive musician. A second viewing reveals a quest to fight the inevitable, when the only thing you love doesn't love you back. The ends of No Country for Old Men and Fargo were too abrupt and dark for me the first time I saw them. Knowing that going in the second time, I could appreciate the brilliant acting, rising tension (more No Country for Old Men), and humor (more Fargo) in them. 
When I saw The Ballad of Buster Scruggs shortly after it premiered on Netflix, I decided I should take advantage of this special opportunity and watch it again before attempting to write about it. Naturally, this is the first case of a Coen brothers movie not gaining new meaning with a sophomore viewing.
That isn't intended as a slight either. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is an anthology film consisting six tales with almost no overlap. It's presented as stories from a book of Wild West tales - like an Aesop's Fables of the Old West. The chapters are all self-contained and with all of them being so short, there isn't enough time for the kind of diversions that distract me in most of the Coens' movies. Before I get into my overall thoughts of the anthology structure, I'd like to talk about the different stories separately.
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
This is what we call a "tone setter". It's silly. It's dark. It's very "Coens". Tim Blake Nelson as Buster Scruggs directly addresses the audience. He's sort of supernatural and the most likable scumbag you'll ever meet. He's living it up as the cartoon ideal of the cowboy...until he's not.

Near Algodones
This is the James Franco one that I've heard a lot of people are low on. He plays a cowboy with the world's best and worst luck. It starts when he tries to rob a remote bank run by Stephen Root playing a very Stephen Root weirdo character. We follow the peaks and valleys of a rough couple days for Franco and find out when his luck is going to run out. I'm not sure what the point of it was, but I liked it.

Meal Ticket
A young man with no arms or legs (played by Harry Melling - aka Dudley Dursley from Harry Potter) makes a living as a traveling orator. He's taken care of by an impresario played by Liam Nesson. Melling gets a firsthand lesson in the callousness of show business as his high-minded act loses its audience to more base attractions. It's not hard to read into the message of that one.

All Gold Canyon
An old prospector played by Tom Waites meticulously digs and scouts for gold. This one is largely wordless and spends a long time showing the process of prospecting. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. I like seeing people put in the work and be good at what they do. This is one of the purest distillations of that. The lesson of this one, I guess, is that life's not always fair. If I have a favorite story, it's probably this one.

The Gal Who Got Rattled
A young woman (Zoe Kazan) runs into a collection of misfortunes while in a wagon train to Oregon and could get bailed out by one of the men guiding the train, just as long as her brother's dog doesn't mess it all up. Of the six, this is the story most capable of sustaining an entire film. Of course, that film would be called Meek's Cutoff. That movie already exists and also stars Zoe Kazan. I sure hope she doesn't get typecast as a wild west wagon lady. I like the placement of this chapter because it has the most traditionally exciting climax and takes place where the climax would be in normal feature film.

The Mortal Remains
This is a fairly claustrophobic story of five strangers on a stagecoach on a ride to Ft. Morgan. Almost the whole thing takes place on the stagecoach and at night. All the travelers get a chance to monologue about philosophy and life. Three of the travelers are rattled when they learn of the profession and purpose of the other two and start to question their destination. This is the least clear of the stories. Or perhaps it's perfectly clear and I'm looking for it to be more complex. It was a fitting note to end on, but my confusion about its purpose left me lower on the movie than any of the others.

For me, the movie is limited by the anthology format. When I think back to my favorite anthologies, they rely on one of two things (if not both) to be great. One is they way they tie together to make a larger whole. For example, Trick r' Treat builds a sense of place by the way it weaves everything together to feel like one Halloween in one town, or Southbound makes the story circular to feel like you are trapped. The second thing is that anthologies allow vastly different voices to take part on the same project. For example, the reason I love the V/H/S movies isn't that all the stories are perfect. It's because I didn't know what to expect in any segment. One could be as small as a feuding couple. The next could be about the end of the world.

Buster Scruggs lacks those two things. The book framing device neatly separates things, but it hardly ties things together thematically. And, while there is variation in the six segments, they are all undeniably Coen brothers movies. Despite my efforts, Buster Scruggs feels like six uniformly good, uniformly themed Coen brothers short films. I really enjoyed the movie. It just fell short of my very lofty hopes. How does the saying go? Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. It's a dumb saying, but it does explain my verdict for the movie despite my disappointment.
Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment