Sunday, December 30, 2018

Delayed Reaction: Malevolent

The Pitch: It's October on Netflix. Here's a horror movie.

A brother/sister team of fake paranormal investigators suddenly gain actual powers and stumble into a very dangerous situation.

I didn't need to watch Malevolent. I have a list of two dozen highly recommended 2018 movies that I still need to watch. I have a smaller list of those movies that are immediately available on a streaming service I have. There are several horror movies even from 2018 that have come more highly recommended. An hour before I watched it, I didn't even know Malevolent existed. So why did I watch it? The short answer is Florence Pugh. She is the only thing I knew about the movie. Seeing this Florence Pugh movie helps with a project I'm working on for later in the week. Also, I'm working on a lot of year-end stuff and needed something I could put on and get 90% of the effect with only 30% attention being paid to it.

Malevolent is fine. It's under 90 minutes and barely fills that, which isn't a complaint when it comes to horror movies. I like them brief and thin on plot. I don't really understand a lot of what happened, but I'm more OK with that in this than other genres. Pugh is ok in it, but the accent choices in the movie threw me off. The movie is set in Scotland, but Pugh and Ben Lloyd-Hughes opt for American, or at least Transatlantic accents for some reason. It wavered enough that I'm not sure what the accent was. I just know it sounded off.

Malevolent has some decent scares. They sneak some found-footage elements in for effect. It ends in a nice eerie place. Horror fans have big appetites, and they could do a lot worse than Malevolent. Non-horror fans won't find much special about this to be worth the time.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment