Monday, December 17, 2018

Movie Reaction: The Favourite

Formula: (King Lear * All About Eve) ^ Love & Friendship
 
I've straight-up hated two of director Yorgos Lanthimos' movies (Dogtooth, The Killing of a Sacred Deer) and remain indifferent about the other I've seen (The Lobster). Even though I'm intrigued by his work, it was going to take a lot to make me want to give him another chance. With The Favourite, he's found a three step process to make me interested again. First, he's not the screenwriter of the film. There's such a thing as too much Lanthimos and being writer and director is too much Lanthimos. Working only as director isn't enough to overpower the movie. Second, he cast Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Colman. I'm new on the Olivia Colman bandwagon, and Rachel Weisz is more of a net-positive than someone who gets me in a theater. But, I've been "ride or die" with Emma Stone since Suberbad - oh god - over a decade ago. Third, getting serious awards attention forces me to see even movies I'm not excited for. I can't really credit that last one to Lanthimos, since it's hard to predict the "award worthiness" of a movie while making it. However, I'm judging on results, not intent. All that produces a movie that I was very excited to see.

The Favourite is the story of 18th century Queen of England, Anne (Olivia Colman), and the lady (Rachel Weisz) and maid (Emma Stone) who compete for her favor. I don't know how much of it, if any, is based on fact. I imagine not much is true, and I don't care regardless. Queen Anne is a woman on the edge of sanity. Gout has left her physically damaged and years of loss and death has left her emotionally damaged. She's quick to anger and easily overwhelmed. For years, Lady Sarah (Weisz) has been her closest advisor. Sarah's distant cousin Abigail (Stone) shows up one day, hit by hard times. Despite being raised as a lady, Abigail's family lost its fortune, and she begs her way into a lowly maid job at the queen's castle. She is cunning though and quickly ingratiates herself with Queen Anne. Mary, feels threatened by this, and the two woman try to outmaneuver each other for the Queen's favor. Meanwhile, Anne is not as clueless as she looks and has her own agenda with the two women.

The trailer for The Favourite paints this as a straight comedy, much like Love & Friendship from a couple years ago. That's not quite accurate though. Perhaps all the biggest laughs are in the trailer, and it masks the darkness of the humor. I'd say this film is much closer to All About Eve. All the characters have their own agenda. I mostly responded to the humor with incredulous laughter. I was much more interested by the sliding scale of whose intentions were the noblest in a given moment. Sarah genuinely cares for the queen but also loves the power she has because of her relationship with Anne. Abigail is self-interested. She's driven by self-preservation, but who could blame her? It's easy to pity Anne because of her condition, but she's also very selfish and abuses her power. While the film is sold as Stone vs. Weisz, it's really a three-way battle of wits.

It doesn't surprise me that I like Lanthimos more as just a director. He has a great eye for things. This film is filled with angles and shots that never would've occurred to me. The most obvious is the use of a fish-eyed lens that made me think of a fun-house mirror. Nothing about the world of the film feels right. It's strategically anachronistic. Everything is excessive. Nicholas Hoult and the other men in the parliament arguing over an ongoing war with France have big hair and more make-up than the women. As a writer, Lanthimos' dialogue sounds like an alien trying to pretend it's human, which is too much when combined with his equally alien direction. When that direction is combined with a sharp script, like this one (written by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara), it's maximizes the madhouse effect.

It's really hard to choose a best performance among the three leads. Stone really sinks her teeth into being ruthless. Weisz has a stewing rage throughout. Colman has the most deceptively complex performance though. I didn't fully appreciate her work until the very end. Hoult too is quite good. He's gotten very good at playing an elitist asshole. He still isn't exactly unlikable in the role. The film is full of characters I love to hate.

The Favourite is easily my favorite of Yorgos Lanthimos' movies and probably my favorite among this year's likely Oscar contenders. It's a heighten reality that stops just short of being a cartoon. That really worked for me. It never tries to be too clever and doesn't allow any of the characters to be simple or binary (good/evil). 
Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment