Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Movie Reaction: Vox Lux


Formula: Black Swan - Darren Aronofski
 
Sorry, I'm keeping this one brief. It's my fifth movie of the weekend, the most emotionally draining one, and the one I have the least to talk about.
Vox Lux is a character study of an artist. The international pop star Celeste rose to success from tragedy and has lived a unique an challenging life. The film begins when she is 14, played by Raffey Cassidy, and gets her first corrupting taste of success. It jumps to 2017. Celeste, now played by Natalie Portman, is about to begin a comeback tour after a few especially rough years.

The word that kept coming to me as I watched this was 'insidious'. It felt at all times like something bad was about to happen. Occasionally something bad did happen. Most of the time, nothing did. Either way, Scott Walker's music never let me feel settled. Perhaps playing on Natalie Portman's history being in Black Swan, I kept waiting for a shift into the surreal that never happened.

I can see why Portman wanted this role. It's big and brash. She gets to put on a think New York accent and play a range of emotions. If someone loves this movie, it's because they love Portman in it. She is very good, but it was all a little too big for me. The rest of the cast wasn't nearly as good. Raffey Cassidy is stuck with a wandering accent when she's playing a young Celeste. She also plays Celeste's daughter, Albertine, in the Natalie Portman part of the film. Both young Celeste and Albertine are very reactive roles that I don't think played to Cassidy's strengths. I still remember her in Tomorrowland in which she was wonderful as a driving force. Jude Law tries to give some life to his character, Celeste's long-time manager, but there isn't much to the role.

I wasn't crazy about Willem Defoe's narration. Narration is tricky. I'm not outright against it in movies. The other day, I watched First Reformed, in which the narration was vital to the story, and I really liked it. Dafoe's narration in Vox Lux just struck me as more easy than essential. It's not in communication with the film often enough to justify its existence. It's more of a way to let the film cover a larger period of time than something that improve the movie.

Vox Lux is fine. It goes as far as Natalie Portman takes it. I feel like I could've watched the "Leave Britney alone" video for the same effect though. I'm not sure what its message about celebrity is. It's not a cautionary tale. It isn't a justification of the lifestyle. It isn't an honest portrayal either. It's just a character that's given a movie.

Movie Theater LVP (Least Valuable Patron): Vox Lux is not a funny movie. Maybe there's room for a light chuckle here or there, but that's it. There was a middle-aged guy who was laughing his ass off at really inappropriate times. I'm all for someone having a better time than everyone else - I still fondly remember the guy who loved The Last Stand more than anyone - but there's a certain point when it's just creepy. (Side Note: I very scared I'll become this guy someday.)

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment