Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Delayed Reaction: Unsane

The Pitch: It's easier than you think to get put in a mental institution.

A woman accidentally commits herself to a mental institution where she believes her stalker is working at.

I can't think of a director who fights boredom as transparently as Steven Soderbergh. Since he showed up on the scene with his indie sensation Sex, Lies and Videotape, Soderbergh has made a career out of following whims. After entering the Oscar discussion in a big way in 2000, directing 2 of the 5 Best Picture nominees (Erin Brockovich and Traffic), he humors humself with the deliriously slick and fun Ocean's Eleven. He returned to the Ocean's franchise whenever he got bored for two more movies and last year copied himself with Logan Lucky. He's made an experimental microbudget drama (2005's Bubble) with no-name actors when he could've cast any A-lister for any project. He reamed the cerebral Tarkovsky film Solaris in 2002, even though it was doomed to disappoint fans and confuse everyone else. After the Ocean's movies, he opted to make a two part epic about Che Guevara. After that, he took on the challenge of getting a good performance out of a pron star in The Girlfriend Experience. He's gone with silly character pieces (The Informant!) or ensemble thrillers (Contagion). He's built a movie around an MMA fighter (Haywire). There's his thoughtful look at male strippers in Magic Mike, a really fun and twisty thriller in Side Effects, and an exaggerated biopic that screened at the Cannes film festival (Behind the Candelabra). And after nearly every film, he's threatened to retire from filmmaking so he can go paint or something. His most emphatic retirement assertion around 2013 ended with him moving to TV for a couple years by 2014. You can never predict his next move, because I honestly don't believe he's that calculating. I believe he thinks "what would be fun today?"

Unsane makes a lot more sense when approached like that. Because what is Unsane? It's a somewhere generic thriller shot entirely on an iPhone, just because. I have to assume the bulk of the budget went to paying the cast, because it's a simple enough movie in terms of production design and locations.

The cast is pretty good. In the last year, I've gone from "Claire Foy is pretty good in The Crown" to "I want Claire Foy in all things I watch and maybe to marry me if she's not too busy". So, you can guess that I liked her performance, even if I wasn't crazy about her accent work. This is very different from anything else I've seen her in. Juno Temple on the other hand, is working in very familiar territory. I like that there's a crazy, British Brie Larson that filmmakers can reliably plug into any movie. Jay Pharaoh does well not playing for laughs too.

Unsane didn't turn out to be the mind-fuck I thought it would be. It starts off that way, then moves into pretty traditional territory by the end. What frustrated me the most though was how plot-driven it was. Repeatedly, the movie relies on Claire Foy acting very foolishly in order to keep things going. I really hate that kind of storytelling. It's somewhat excused because it plays into Foy's mind being unreliable. But, once that's sorted out by the end, it makes some of the earlier decisions less excusable.

I get the feeling that Soderbergh* read a news article one day about how mental rehabilitation centers can hold people against their will until their insurance runs out and thought "that could make a fun movie, but I better add a stalker too, just for fun." I guess there's worse reasons to make a movie. And, while Unsane turns out to be pretty familiar, like most things Soderbergh makes, it's zippy and fun.

*I know that the movie is credited to real people, but I don't trust any credits in a Soderbergh movie. He regularly makes up names for his credits. 
Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment