Friday, December 21, 2018

Movie Reaction: The Mule



No one has ever called me a Clint Eastwood apologist. Million Dollar Baby is one of my go-to examples of an awful Best Picture winner. I hated Bridges of Madison County. In general, I think Eastwood is among the most overpraised filmmakers of the last 50 years. That doesn't mean I'm unable to enjoy his movies or that I'm looking to knock him down a peg. Unforgiven is a classic post-heyday Western. Mystic River and Changeling are fine. My big issue with American Sniper is more with the public response to it than the film itself. Sully sent me out of the theater weirdly reinvigorated. So, before I get into The Mule, know that I went into that completely ready to like it.

OK, here we go.

The Mule is, unless I'm forgetting about something major, the worst movie I've seen in 2018. Immediately after I got out of the movie, I joked to a friend that I'd believe it if you told me that Tommy Wiseau (mastermind behind The Room) was a creative consultant for the movie, and I don't reference The Room lightly as a comparison. Doing so means that I'm downgrading the film from bad to incompetent.

In case you aren't familiar with the movie, The Mule is based on the true story of a 90 year old man who smuggled large quantities of drugs cross country. Clint plays Earl, who has always put work before family. He's ruined all his relationships as a result. He's fallen on hard times in his later years and stumbles onto the lucrative opportunity to transport drugs in his truck for a drug cartel from Texas to Illinois. Meanwhile, Bradley Cooper and Michael Pena are DEA agents investigating the smuggling ring that Earl is at the center of.

Most of my issues with the movie come down to one thing: Clint Eastwood is unbelievably miscast. So much of the movie relies of Earl being a charming, slick guy. I imagine Jack Lemmon or Paul Newman in their later years would've been excellent. Maybe Christopher Plummer now. Definitely Robert Redford in a couple years. Earl should be a man who, when he smiles, you can still see the young man that women swooned for. He needs to be a charmer who can't turn it off it he tried. None of these things have ever been who Clint Eastwood is. In The Mule, every time there's a scene where Earl is supposed to be the life of the party, Eastwood looks lost and out of place. There's a flashback scene early on when Earl is supposed to be at the height of his charisma. I literally expected it to be a dream sequence, because everyone looked so uncomfortable and out of place; like they were humoring Clint. I really can't stress enough how bad Clint was for the role. His only credentials were that he's old enough.

All of this isn't Clint "the actor's" fault. Clint "the director" deserves some blame too (with no help from the screenplay either). And this is where I evoke The Room. The Room isn't only bad because Tommy Wiseau is a horrible leading man. What takes it from bad to all-time bad is that everyone else in the movie is selling some fantasy of the leading man. In The Room, Wiseau is the handsomest, most misunderstood, All American good guy. The movie plays like some fantasy world that Johnny (Wiseau's character) concocted. That happens in The Mule too. Earl is the guy that every woman at the wedding wants to dance with. Despite only being married for ten years decades ago, he's still the love of his ex-wife's life. He does one decent thing by the end of the movie, and the daughter who literally refused to be in the same room as him for 12 years is then treating him like the best man who ever lived. The movie treats Earl like he's the smartest guy in every room. I really enjoyed how the cartel talks about him like he's some sort of virtuoso driver when his only "skill" is that he's old and white enough to not be suspicious.

One odd quirk to the movie was all the benign racism and political incorrectness. Much of it added absolutely nothing except to say "You see, Earl is really old". Like, Earl helps a black family change a flat tire and he calls them "negros". They respond by politely saying "we don't use that word anymore". He doesn't apologize. He just pauses for a second like it's the first time he ever heard that and has a "gee whiz, the world sure is weird now" look on his face. In general, Earl uses different slurs or slang in the same way that irresponsible parents teach a three year old to swear as a lark. There's also a weirdly tone deaf scene with Cooper and Pena in which they pull over a truck that matches the description of a tip they received. The driver is Hispanic and spends the entire time repeating how scared he is and how he knows that the odds are higher than they've ever been that he could be killed right now. Mind you, this guy is completely innocent and appears to be an ideal citizen. No drugs. No weapons. No attitude. He doesn't even speak Spanish*. This is all played as a joke. Except, this guy is so clearly shaken by it, that I left the scene outright feeling awful for the guy. He wasn't an exaggerated cartoon. He's a guy who is going to call his wife crying afterwards. That disturbed me in a way I don't think was intended.

*Not that there's anything wrong with speaking Spanish. By this, I mean, there's no hint of immigration on him except for his skin Even "build the wall" people would be like "he's cool".

I think what's most frustrating about The Mule is that I saw what they were trying to do; they just did it badly. For example, my favorite scene on paper is later in the movie. Earl is leaving lunch with his handlers for the cartel who are Hispanic. His handlers spent lunch complaining about how he does things and trying to micromanage him. As Earl and the handlers are going to their separate cars, a police officer stops the handlers (because, racism). Earl diffuses the situation with white privilege, then in a bravado move, opens his truck, filled with kilos of drugs,  to show something else to the officer. The cop doesn't suspect anything or notice any of the other bags. It's a total power play by Earl, showing off his invisibility to authorities and how that makes him invaluable to the cartel. In the film though, Clint stumbles over that. Nothing in the filmmaking builds the tension. The direction completely fails to capture what is actually a really smart scene on the page. This happens a lot. Intention does equal execution.

I could go on for a long time picking at other problems I had with the movie. The dialogue is clunky throughout. The movie is never as tense as it should be. The investigation by the DEA is ridiculously bad (They know the mule is at a specific hotel and that he's driving a black truck, but they don't suspect Earl because he's old or somehow didn't notice he was driving a black truck? Really?). The way the cartel is run is laughable. I haven't hated a movie as thoroughly as this in a very long time. I haven't always liked Clint Eastwood's movies, but this is the first time I've thought he's too old to be doing it anymore. It feels like everyone in the movie is participating in it to be nice and no one had the heart to tell him that it's not working. I guess you'd say that The Mule is "professionally bad". It looks like a real movie. Talented people are doing what they can to make it make it work. It has all the available resources to be good, and a lot of poor decisions cause it to be bad. I have a very hard time seeing how this doesn't land on Clint as the problem.

One Last Thought: My policy for theater viewing is to swim with the tide. If I'm watching a comedy and I think it's funny, I'll laugh out loud. If I don't think it's funny when it's supposed to be, I just won't laugh. For the most part, I'll internalize my reaction because I don't want to ruin the experience for someone having a different response to a movie. Just because I like or hate it doesn't mean someone else has to feel the same way. I don't boo or jeer. I try to be respectful to everyone else who paid to see it. But, good god, I wanted to laugh so badly throughout The Mule. I thought scenes and dialogue that were supposed to be serious were laughably bad. It took so much effort not to snort at different point. I really wanted to laugh but I was raised to be more polite than that. What I'm trying to say is, I want a gold star or something.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment