Friday, July 30, 2021

Quick Reaction: Fun and Fancy Free


Not my favorite of the Disney package films. It was cool to finally see the Mickey and the Beanstalk story. That's spoiled though by the creepy puppeteer telling the story. I'm not one who is freaked out by puppets, but the whole set up seemed weird. Where are this girl's parents? Why did they leave her alone with this man controlling multiple puppets? Does she know how to leave? Just send me a signal if you need help! I don't get why there weren't a couple kids there are least. Then I can assume it's a party instead of a man putting on a show for one confused little girl. Am I reading too much into this? Of course. It still distracted me though.

 

I did like seeing Jiminy Cricket show up to introduce the Bongo story. I get that it's easier for Disney to just ignore its older characters rather than have the discussions about depiction and assorted "isms" that have dogged them for years, but I wish they'd lean back into the idea of a repertory group of recurring characters more. To immediately undercut my last point though, I spent most of Bongo waiting for something cancelable to happen. I don't recall anything inappropriate happening, but it sure felt like that was ready to dip into Dumbo crows territory at some point, right?

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment