Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Frankie & Johnny

Premise: A recently released convict gets a job at a New York diner and falls for a waitress working there who isn't sure she wants a relationship.

 


I know it's the easy privileged thing to say, but when looking back at art, it really is importantly to keep in mind that the perception of some things has changed over time. If Frankie and Johnny was released today, it would not fare well. It's a movie about a guy who basically stalks the woman he likes and refuses to hear no until she finally says yes. Yes, that's problematic. It opens a lot of women up to victimization and confuses men about what is and isn't ok. It's hard for me to watch this movie for the first time now and think that Johnny's persistence is sweet. But, at the time and for decades, that was presented as cute. I don't have the time or knowledge to get into the deep systemic effects of all that here. I'm just saying that I have to assume the best intent when watching a movie like Frankie and Johnny.

 

This movie does make more sense with less glamourous people in the lead roles. Apparently, this is based on a play in which the two lead characters are both - let's say - homelier. Even though the movie is very different from the play, I agree that it does make more sense without Michelle freaking Pfeiffer in the lead role. So, that's another thing I just have to accept: beautiful movie stars got the lead roles in a 1991 RomCom.

 

OK. I've established the parameters. So how do I feel about the movie? I kind of liked it. I think it has some funny jokes, especially the little New York touches Garry Marshall throws in. Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino are sweet together. I tend to forget how great peak Pfeiffer was. This is a "carpe diem" movie for Pacino and a "open yourself to love" movie for Pfeiffer, and they play those notes well enough. Perhaps Garry Marshall and company defang the premise a little too much, but honestly, does anyone want to see Marshall direct the gritty, bittersweet version of this movie? Given the pieces and context, I think this is the best version of the movie they could make.

 

That said, I did have a lot of trouble looking at this from a non-2021 context. Pacino's persistence struck me as needy and threatening; like the movie was about Pfeiffer seeing her neighbor in a physically abusive relationship, not realizing she was in an emotionally abusive one now. Pfeiffer and to a lesser extent Pacino as well as the rest of the supporting cast really are charming and wonderful, but not enough to overcome my issues with that core relationship.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment