Thursday, July 29, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Swiss Family Robinson (1940)

Premise: A family sailing for America crash on a desert island and make a life there.

 


This just isn't as fun as the 1960 version. It's a little confusing, because both versions are on Disney+. The 1940 version was released by RKO, who was Disney's distributor in the 1940s, but that version isn't actually a Disney movie. You can tell when you compare the versions. The 1960 version has the fun production style, happy music, and bigger adventure. The 1940 version was from a studio that adapted public domain titles. It's surprisingly lively for a 1940 movie, but I think the 1960 version fully outclasses it.

 

I don't know how the book goes, but the ending of the movie really lost me. Who would choose to stay on the island?  The dad does make a decent point that people will start arriving now that the island is known, but doesn't that defeat the purpose? The joy of the island was getting away from society. If other people start showing up, aren't they stuck dealing with the same bullshit as before? I'm the wrong audience here, but I was not at all convinced of the allure of the island. Sure, maybe I could hang out there for a month. I'd need some more people though. What happens when the younger brothers start going through puberty? I imagine they'll hate the decision then.

 

Anyway, not a bad movie. Mostly a bit forgettable. I do appreciate the simpler story compared to the 1960 version. The performances are...well, Orson Welles was a fine narrator. There's really no reason to go back to this version though.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment