Friday, July 16, 2021

Delayed Reaction: The Personal History of David Copperfield

Premise: Another take on the David Copperfield story, a young man whose life swings from rags to riches a couple times.

 


It will surprise no one that I haven't read this book. In fact, I don't believe I've read any Charles Dickens. At first glance, Armando Iannucci sounds like an odd person to adapt Dickens' classic novel. I associate Iannucci with profanity laced projects about modern politics. Then I thought about it a little and it makes more sense. Iannucci is a satirist who comments on modern life, which is something Dickens was known to do. Dickens was a popularist. Even though Iannucci hasn't broken huge stateside, he is very much about speaking the vernacular of the people, building characters with recognizable flaws. In other words, Armando Iannucci is perfect for the David Copperfield story.

 

I enjoyed this movie plenty. It's very charming, especially with Dev Patel in the lead role. Patel is somehow only 31 despite Slumdog Millionaire coming out 3-Spider-Men, 3 Batmen, and 20-something MCU movies ago. I don't know how anyone can look at him in this any not think "Atta boy". The cast is filled with Iannucci favorites like Hugh Laurie and Pater Capaldi. Tilda Swinton is having a blast playing David's oddball aunt. There are also a few moments throughout where I could feel Iannucci resisting the urge to unleash with his regular verbal fury in the screenplay. Characters get right up to the point of going full Malcolm Tucker before pulling back and remembering they are in this charming Dickens adaptation. Frankly, The Personal History of David Copperfield has serious Paddington energy and I like it.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment