Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Top Hat

Premise: A dancer falls in love with a woman who believes he is his married best friend.

 


I'm only 2 movies into the Astaire and Rogers catalog and a few things are very apparent. 1) Put them in a dance scene with a catchy song, and I'm happy. 2) I really need to stop thinking and just enjoy the screwball confusion. One of the defaults of my brain is that I have a hard time turning it off long enough for some contrivance. I spend most of the time with my brain screaming for someone to just explain what's going on. It's such easy confusion to avoid, and if they can't untangle this simple mix up, then they don't stand a chance as a couple long term...See? I'm even doing it with a hypothetical. These screwball comedies are so unabashedly silly that it is easier for me to just go with it. The mix up in Top Hat is decently clever and Rogers and Astaire play it well enough. I end up watching these like old variety shows though. I'm putting up with the jokes so I can get to the next song. "Cheek to Cheek" is the obvious stand out from this film, but it's not the only good song and dance number. At this point, I'm all in on tracking Astaire and Rogers movies down. Maybe Swing Time next.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment