Friday, July 2, 2021

Delayed Reaction: City Lights

Premise: Among many adventures in the city, the Tramp falls for a blind flower girl.

 


Yeah. Think makes sense as Charlie Chaplin's best movie. I've seen many of his big movies at this point. The Great Dictator is probably his most important movie, given the early Hitler commentary. Modern Times was a big late success with some great moments. The Gold Rush has some of his most indelible images. I think The Kid remains my favorite of his movies because of how well suited the Tramp is to work with a child. City Lights is the overall best mix though.

 

The basic premise of the movie is simply "the Tramp in the city", which opens the story to go in virtually any direction. I like the stuff with his millionaire friend who only recognizes him while drunk. They get plenty of physical comedy out of that. I loved the boxing match late. The choreography is tremendous. It's packed with gags. Even the music is really great there. It was almost hypnotic. And, of course, the final scene in which the shopgirl, now able to see, finally recognizes the Tramp is the sweetest thing I've seen in any of his movies.

 

I think I remain Team Buster Keaton due to the ambition of his stunts, but I'm growing to like Chaplin's films plenty.

 

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment