Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Project A

Premise: A rogue Marine Police officer in 19th century Hong Kong attempts to thwart a plot by gangster pirates.

 


I'm a broken record about these Jackie Chan Hong Kong action movies already. I love them. And Project A is no different. This is my first of his Hong Kong movies outside the Police Story franchise. Project A is a period piece, which is a nice change of pace. The stunts have the same ambition: the clocktower sequence in particular. Apparently, Chan responded to a lack of enthusiasm for his last period movie by loading this one with even more stunts. I believe that. This has numerous stunt sequences with excellent choreography and sight gags. This still falls a bit short of the utter chaos of the first Police Story, but I'm learning that that movie might just be the gold standard. Otherwise, Project A has all the things that I'm coming to love about Jackie Chan's native films.

 

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment