Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Movie 43

Premise: A prank goes wrong and sends some teens down a dark web rabbit hole of raunchy comedy videos starring some of Hollywood's biggest names.

 


Nope. This movie is not for me. This is the closest I've come to turning a movie off before finishing it, and that temptation started less than 10 minutes in. This is simply 100% not my kind of humor. This movie is the brainchild of producer Charles Wessler, who is best known for his collaborations with the Farrelly brothers. The idea was to make a star-studded, raunchy comedy anthology. Sort of like Kentucky Fried Movie with Oscar winners. On paper, I kind of love the idea. Anthologies are fun. The cast is very impressive. I love how it was a chance for people like Elizabeth Banks to get a directing credit on her resume, so she could move onto bigger projects.

 

I just plain hate the comedy of this. I don't like gross out comedy. The first sketch is Oscar winner Kate Winslet as a woman going on a date with Hugh Jackman as a man with balls hanging from his neck. I wanted to throw my remote at the TV right then. And it really doesn't get better. Even the 4% on Rotten Tomatoes feels too high. This is a miserable, rightly rejected movie. I imagine there's some portion of the population that has this funny bone. I sincerely hope they got a kick out of this movie.

 

The most I can say positive about the movie is that there are too many talented people and too many jokes for none of them to land. I see the kernel of humor in most of the premises. While I never laughed, there were a few places where I thought "_____ almost got that joke to land." Like, Emma Stone has a part where she says "He was a wizard" that was a funny line read. That's...all I've got. This is a movie that no one should ever see. The best thing I can say about the experience is that if I'm ever close to seeing all of Chloe Grace Moretz/Kristen Bell/Jason Sudeikis/Emma Stone/etc.'s movie, then I'll already have this checked off the list.

 

Verdict: Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment