Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Delayed Reaction: Damsel

Premise: A pioneer in the old West hires a man to help him get to and wed the woman he loves.

 


This movie is for a very specific segment of movie fans. It's a Western. That's a genre that's more enduring than it is popular. But it's also a comedy. That's pretty niche, but I like a good Maverick (1994). It's a sillier comedy though. But not like a Blazing Saddles. There's more of an indie sensibility too. That's a super specific movie. It's also interested in taking the audience places where it doesn't expect. It's not the movie I thought it would be, and I appreciate that willingness to experiment.

 

At its core is a trio of strong performances by Robert Pattinson, Mia Wasikowska, and David Zellner. Pattinson really loves playing weirdos like this. It's strange how I've seen Wasikowska in many movies, but I don't have an idea of her personality from anything. That basically means she's a great actress, I suppose. It also means she's not a movie star, if you care to make that distinction. She's funny in this, in an exhausted kind of way. Not a nagging girlfriend. More of a Frank Grimes who can't believe the characters she's trapped with.

 

Sadly, the specific brand of humor didn't work that well for me. I feel like the screenplay was mostly written for a couple big moments rather than to sustain the nearly 2 hours. I really do like the boldness of those big reveals. They just weren't enough to sustain me.

 

Verdict: Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment