Saturday, July 20, 2019

Delayed Reaction: War Horse


The Pitch: Steven Spielberg takes on a new war.

Follow a horse through different parts of WWI.

Believe it or not, I haven't been a big Oscar fan for that long. Granted, it's all a matter of degrees and perspective. Even at my most Oscar-indifferent, I followed it closer than the average person. However, what I'm referring to is that there was a time when I couldn't name all the Oscar categories, I hadn't seen many of the movies, and I wouldn't catch the Oscars ceremony on ABC every year. I've only been an award show obsessive since 2011. That's the first year I saw all the Best Picture nominees. It's the first year I blogged predictions for it. It's the first time I paid attention to Oscar campaigns and precursor awards. And I kind of have War Horse to thank.

The story is long, convoluted, and circumstantial, but the short version is this: I remember reading an article about War Horse being the sight-unseen front-runner in 2011, and for some reason, that's the moment that inspired me to really, in-depth follow the Oscars. In a roundabout way, this whole blog exists because of War Horse*.

*I should caveat this by pointing out that I was already writing Movie Reactions and making Emmy picks before this point. I assume this was all an inevitability. There's nothing inherently special about War Horse. It just happened to be tied to this memory.

War Horse also comes from that window of time when I wasn't writing Reactions about everything I saw. That makes it, until now, one of the newest movies I've seen that I haven't written anything about. There are a number of movies from the class of 2011 that I need to write about. It's one of my favorite movie years.

In the end, War Horse wasn't an Oscar frontrunner. It got 6 nominations but no wins. It made a modest $79 million at the box office. The critical response was overall mixed. They were higher on Spielberg's other film that year: The Adventures of Tintin. War Horse ended up being a relic. Further proof that what was Oscar-bait in 1985 or 1995 wasn't as successful in 2011. Instead, it was The Artist that ushered in a new era in which "Oscar bait" meant any movie that was about how great movies or Hollywood were (Also See: Argo, Birdman, La La Land).

You know what though? I really liked War Horse at the time. The end, after the auction for the horse, had me as close to actually blubbering in a theater as I've ever gotten (The fact that Richard Curtis shares a screenplay credit hasn't gone unnoticed). It's a handsomely-made movie. I was surprised to see it has listed production cost of only $66 million. The John Williams score is good. The large cast has more than a few gems. It has both Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch before they were names*. War Horse isn't a subtle movie. It's treacly and sentimental. It makes its points loudly and obviously. I think that's a strength though, because that's exactly what it intends to be. Most impressive is how rarely it feels like it was based on a play. That's mainly just in the dialogue. Otherwise, it's quite an expansive movie.

*OK, Hiddleston was in Thor earlier that year. Cumberbatch already had Atonement, The Other Boleyn Girl, and a season of Sherlock under his belt. War Horse got them right as they were cresting though.

In short: Thanks War Horse. You made me like this. You are an underrated movie but not a forgotten classic.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment