Saturday, July 20, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Meet Me In St. Louis


The Pitch: Let Judy Garland sing, dammit!

A year in the life of a family in turn of the century St. Louis as they look forward to the upcoming World's Fair, and maybe the daughters can find love.

It's easy to see why this movie has edured. It's such a crowd-pleaser. Judy Garland is just plain awesome in it. She's a little neurotic and sings beautifully. What more does anyone need? Other than "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", I didn't care for much of the music. The titular song in particular has always annoyed me. But, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is an incredible song, and a rising tide lifts all boats. I guess that means, overall, I liked the music then. The rest of the cast is fine, although Garland is the only one I can recall by name.

The movie is a little simplistic. The plot is pretty thin. The nostalgic lens is perhaps a little too rosy. I have my issues with it, but there aren't enough genuine crowdpleasers these days. If I have to go back to the 40s to find one then so be it.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment