Saturday, July 20, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Bananas


The Pitch: You know when people complained that they like Woody Allen movies better when they were comedies? This is one of the movies they were referring to.

A neurotic New Yorker accidentally gets caught in the middle of a rebellion in a Latin American country.

I didn't learn much here that I didn't know before. I think I prefer pre-Annie Hall Woody Allen the most, although Bananas ranks behind Love & Death and Sleeper still. He's good at many things, but being silly what he's best at. Then again, he had to move on from that eventually. It works in one's 30. It doesn't as well in one's 40s or 50s. Just ask Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell. I really like Woody Allen as a comedic performer. I know how neurotic and nebbish he is rubs some people the wrong way, but not me. This is a messy and imperfect movie, but much more of the humor worked for me than didn't.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment