Saturday, July 20, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, & Vile

The Pitch: Admit it. You've wondered if Zac Efron has some heads in a freezer at home.

The story of Ted Bundy told from a perspective of someone who believed him.

It doesn't speak well for our society that names like Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy are so well known. The obsession with serial killers is pretty gross. But, I do get it. The periodic true crime spikes in popularity are based on the idea "how could someone do that?" We're very good at abstracting the idea so we don't think about the families of the victims or the suffering the victims went through before being murdered. That doesn't really excuse it though. It only explains it. The last thing the world really needs is another movie that implicitly idolizes one of these disgusting individuals, yet he were are, with a new Netflix movie about Ted Bundy: one that I watched immediately and with great interest. I am part of the problem.

In my slight defense, I would've seen most movies starring Lily Collins and Zac Efron. She's pretty and he fascinates me.

I don't know what Zac Efron is. After High School Musical, he got frighteningly ripped and has mostly attempted to do comedy. He's not great at comedy, but he tries really fucking hard at it. That eventually pays off for most actors who go that route. Just look at the Rock. And that marks most of Efron's adult performances: He never makes it look easy no matter what the role is. That makes him oddly perfect to play Ted Bundy. He's handsome, but when he's trying to be charming, there's something uneasy about it. The fact that Efron doesn't disappear into the role works in the movie's favor. Bundy was always putting on a show for people. He wasn't the most convincing actor though. So, having Efron clearly playing a role is exactly right. I realize that much of this sounds like a backhanded compliment. In a way, perhaps it is, because I'm essentially saying "Zac Efron plays Ted Bundy well because he isn't convincing in the role." However, I'd rather believe that Efron is aware of his limitations and wisely chose a role that lets him take advantage of all his strengths while playing against type. He's putting in the work now to get even better down the road.

Lily Collins is an actress I keep rediscovering. I didn't register her at all in The Blind Side, so the first thing I really remember her in is Mirror, Mirror. I thought the movie was fairly forgettable, but the song from the closing credits is now one of my favorite songs ever*. I mostly forgot about her again until Rules Don't Apply. Since then, I've seen just about anything she's in. I have to assume there's more to it than "she's pretty", but I have trouble placing what else it is about her that I like. There's an earnestness to her performances that I like. In Extremely Wicked, she has an odd function. The movie is told from her perspective in a way, but she's more of a supporting character. She has to believably play someone who looks foolish to everyone else. The audience has to see why should would believe Ted Bundy was innocent for so long. She does as well as she can. I don't think anyone could really pull the role off without more help from the writing and directing.

*This isn't an exaggeration. Since I heard it, in 2012, it's one of the 5 songs I've listened to the most. I can't explain why. I just love it.

What I found most interesting about the movie was also what prevented it from being a better movie. It tries to reveal who Ted Bundy really was the way that Liz Kendall (Collins' character) would've seen it. But it does this without ever sympathizing with Bundy. So, the audience knows the whole time that he's a bad guy but Liz doesn't. In particular, it does this by never showing the murders or the crime scenes until the very end. The first victim we see is when she shows Ted the picture of the decapitated body at the end. Right after that is when Bundy fully reveals himself as a monster to the audience and, more importantly, to Liz. Until that moment, Liz could still believe that somehow this was all a mistake. Collins and Efron play the scene well. It's frustrating, because the entire movie before that is the audience being several steps ahead of her. There's also the fact that it's revealed late that Liz is the one who first reported Ted to the police. It makes for a nice reveal, but saving that until the end forces Collins to give a more opaque performance for the first 7/8ths on the movie. But, the movie can't let us know she reported him any earlier, because that would fundamentally change the perspective of the movie. And that perspective is the main thing that sets it apart.

I don't know where else to throw this in, but I hated the music for the movie. It was way too active. At times, it even started making me think of The Room, which is not an ocular connection that a serious drama wants to make. I wonder if something more sparse would've worked better.

This isn't a big movie, so the rest of the cast felt like they were doing extended cameos. Guys like Jeffrey Donovan and Dylan Baker are period-appropriate authority figures. Haley Joel Osment has some nice moments, but his only real purpose is to let us know that Liz finds someone after Ted. Kaya Scodelario should be third-billed on this. Playing Carole Anne Boone is no easy task. While Collins had to play the woman who figured out she was duped by Bundy, Scodelario has to play the woman who believed him until the end and fell in love with him. It's hard to find a way to play her that isn't a little cartoonish, so Scodelario settles for a good impression of her and little else. With Jim Parsons and John Malkovitch playing the prosecutor and judge, the Florida trial plays like the circus it really was. Neither actor attempts to tone down what makes them distinctive as performers, and those tiral scenes always feel like they're about two beats away from being funny.

Extremly Wicked, etc. is kind of the perfect Sundance movie (perfect, not best). It has familiar actors I like getting to play roles they normally wouldn't. It has a specific perspective on a familiar topic. It looks good but not expensive. I'm glad I saw it but there's no reason for me to see it again. The only thing missing to get Sundance BINGO is a high schooler coming-of-age.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment