Saturday, July 20, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Double Indemnity


The Pitch: So, it's a film noir, but not with any of the people you associate with film noir*.

*Unless you are an audience 70 years later who has built the film noir identity with Double Indemnity as a foundational piece.

A woman convinces an insurance salesman who has fallen in love with her to kill her husband and make it look like an accident for the insurance money.

Look, I know I suck at talking about older movies. I'm still building some context for them. It's easy to talk about the latest Anna Kendrick movie, because I've seen most Anna Kendrick movies already. I know what was going on in cinema in 1995 and can speak about how Heat fits in. I don't really know much about 1944 in cinema, and I'm not sure if I've seen any other Barbara Stanwyck movies. That makes it hard still for me to say anything other than "Double Indemnity was a damn good movie." It's film noir with some traces of Hitchcock. Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck are dynamite together. I quite like Edward G. Robinson in his supporting role too.

Maybe one day I'll be useful talking about older movies. In the mean time, Double Indemnity was a damn good movie.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment