Sunday, July 21, 2019

Delayed Reaction: The Muppet Movie

The Pitch: It's the Muppets...in a movie.

With dreams of making it in Hollywood, Kermit makes a cross country road trip after being discovered by an agent and meets all his future Muppet friends along the way.

What's the statute of limitations on child abuse? Because, I don't recall my parents ever showing this to me as a child, and that seems like it's some kind of abuse. Let's ignore the fact that I never showed much interest in Muppets as a child and that it was exceedingly difficult in my youth to get me to watch something I didn't want to. And there's the simple fact that I may have seen it when I was very young then plain forgot about it. No, instead, I'm going to proceed as though my parent's maliciously deprived me of this movie.
The Muppet Movie is 90-odd minutes of loopy, meta fun. The music is great (and catchy). The comedy is that classic Muppet mix of sophomoric and clever. The movie is packed with celebrity cameos, all looking happy to lend their services for a day or two. I don't have all that much to say about it. It's just a really solid movie. It does everything at about a B+ level and leaves almost no fat to trim. I've had a run of disappointing movies lately, so this was a refreshing success.

Verdict: Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment