Sunday, July 21, 2019

Delayed Reaction: Cabaret


The Pitch: You really should see the movie that won Best Director over The Godfather.

Follow the love life of an American ex-pat club entertainer in pre-WWII Germany.

This became required viewing the moment I finished FX's Fosse/Verdon. I mean, I already had every intention to see it. There were far too many questions that had to be answered. What movie made people think of Liza Minelli as a movie star? How did this nearly unseat The Godfather? Where are the jazz hands? And I got the answers I was looking for. But, Fosse/Verdon put a rush on it. I'd like to understand what was such a big deal about Bob Fosse's work.

Ultimately, Cabaret does suffer from being a movie where I come away more curious about that time period rather than entertained by the movie. This pre-war period in Germany is just fascinating. I'm surprised this hasn't been mined for material several times before. Perhaps Cabaret's claim to it was too absolute.

This movie is entertaining enough. I'm afraid not a lot of it stuck with me after finishing it, which is a criticism of sorts. Or maybe I just didn't give it the attention it deserved. You should probably see it. The song and dance numbers alone are well worth it.

Verdict: Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment