Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Byzantium

The Pitch: You know what Interview with the Vampire needs? Irish accents.

How I Came Into It: I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realize until after I saw the movie that this was from the guy who made Interview with the Vampire. That's makes a lot of sense now. No, I saw it for Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton. I'd been putting this movie off for a while out of a fear that the accent work might be impenetrable (specifically, I'm thinking of Under the Skin).

Why I Saw It: Saoirse Ronan is just a damn good actress. She's still only 22 and has had a busier career than people twice her age, not to mention 2 Oscar nominations. Byzantium isn't her crowning achievement, but still pretty good for a teenager. This is the most acting I've seen from Gemma Arterton. Normally she takes the "tough hot woman" roles, which she's quite good at. This is enough of a departure from that to be interesting. The ambience of the movie is nice and chilling. This isn't a "horror movie" but it's shot like one.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is more of a mood piece than a movie. At least, it is until the end, when it seems like all kinds of plot starts happening. It's an odd mix of tones.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment