Saturday, July 23, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Final Girl

The Pitch: Teenage girl Jason Bourne.

How I Came Into It: I don't know. I'm pretty sure when Abigail Breslin showed up on Scream Queens, I wondered what she'd been up to the last couple years. When I looked her up on Netflix, I added this. Or maybe I confused it with Barely Lethal or Sucker Punch.

Why I Saw It: It's a really effective pitch. The story is simple which leaves a lot of room for executional flair.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: ...except the movie lacked any flair. I'm not sure what writer/director Tyler Shield's vision was for this. What is supposed to set this apart? The stunt work and fight choreography is pretty unsophisticated. The characters are generic-weird (if that's a thing). The dialogue isn't all that clever. It isn't shot in an interesting way. I understand that this is Shield's debut feature, but with a movie like this, I should come away knowing something that he specializes in. It's hard for me to even give this a rating, because what it really deserves is an incomplete. All that said, I didn't dislike it. It was too short and harmless to watch to dislike it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment