Thursday, July 14, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Stir of Echoes

The Pitch: What's another way that we can make The Sixth Sense?

How I Came Into It: Ok, it's more of a coincidence that this is so similar to The Sixth Sense. It was released around the same time and one just hit bigger than the other. If the last three years of my Delayed Reactions are my "Club 50 Era", I've moved into my "Friend Recommendations Era". Stir of Echoes was more or less recommended on the strength of specific elements, especially in the beginning. It showed up in my Netflix queue and here we are.

Why I Saw It: This is effectively creepy. I watched this at noon on a Sunday and it still unsettled me. The different nightmare or hypnotism sequences are better than anything in The Sixth Sense. Kevin Bacon plays madness really well which is good, because the entire movie hinges on him. Kathyrn Erbe, Illeana Douglas, and Kevin Dunn all rely on being able to play off him.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Its' really hard to come up with an explanation for a psychological thriller that is satisfying. The stuff about Bacon and his son being more open to communication with the dead or whatever didn't really do it for me, and the reveal about poor Jennifer Morrison's murder and the coverup could've been much more interesting.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment