Sunday, July 31, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Sunset Boulevard

The Pitch: A down on his luck screenwriter becomes the kept man of an aging Hollywood starlet.

How I Came Into It: I knew it for the reasons anyone knows it: the quotes. I'll fully admit that the exact cast and plot I had confused with a number of other movies (specifically, The Seven Year Itch). This is constantly rated among the best American films ever made. Normally, those don't disappoint.

Why I Saw It: I watch a lot of movies and TV and one of the biggest trends, especially in TV, is the Hollywood satire: Stories where actors play themselves or that follow the staff of a show or movie set. It's all very "inside baseball". For every 30 Rock, there's a dozen Studio 60s. In film, Sunset Blvd. may be the very best Hollywood satire ever made. It was so refreshing to see it done right for a change. The script is incredible. It somehow manages being both film noir and also a comedy without undercutting either. Gloria Swanson is a force to be reckoned with. William Holden plays it cool. Erich von Stroheim's devotion is both tragic and funny. 

Why I Wish I Hadn't: My first viewing was such a delight that I wasn't really focused on what I didn't enjoy. I'll need some future viewings (which are certain to happen) to really sink my teeth into this.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment