Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Waitress

The Pitch: The Good Girl, but with a pregnancy.

How I Came Into It: The story that dominated the press for this movie was that writer/director/supporting actress Adrienne Shelly was murdered before the movie premiered. Because of that, I could never determine if the outpouring of love I heard for the movie was due to the quality or sympathy. Of course, I forgot one very simple fact.

Why I Saw It: Keri Russell is great. I don't think I'll ever understand how she hasn't had a bigger career, because she is excellent in this. I could never be as happy as her character when she starts having the affair with her doctor (Nathan Fillion) and "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" is playing. And it's marvelous how few fucks she gives about everything else when she gets the baby, whether it's dropping her jackass husband or the bluntness of revealing her affair with the doctor. I love the tone of the film. Quirky but not cutesy. Cheryl Hines and Adrienne Shelly gets some lovely grace notes on the side. Jeremy Sisto is comically awful. Nathan Fillion is charming. And Andy Griffith, representing for the AARP crowd*.

*I'm not being facetious. Griffith was nominated for Best Supporting Actor by the AARP Movies For Grownups Awards.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: God, I want a pie so much right now.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment