Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Adult Beginners

The Pitch: Failed businessman brother moves in with suburban sister's family.

How I Came Into It: Nick Kroll is a divisive performer. He's similar to Sacha Baron Cohen. I flat out dislike him when he's performing things that he wrote, doing standup, and especially playing any of his characters. But, if he's just playing a guy, like in The League, I enjoy him. Given that, I didn't know what to expect from Adult Beginners. Kroll is a producer and has a "story by" credit. He didn't write the screenplay though and he is just playing a guy.

Why I Saw It: If you put Rose  Byne in a TV show or movie, I'm going to see it. That's what it comes down to. That's how I see Annie in theaters. That's how I end up seeing I Give It a Year. It helps to get me in the Theater for This Is Where I Leave You and The Internship. I only knew who Hugh Dancy was before watching Hannibal because I Netflixed Adam for Rose Byrne. I've seen every episode of Damages (even the DirectTV era). I'm already looking for The Meddler on Netflix, and she's why I'll probably end up seeing something called The Rage in Placid Lake one day.
...So, I liked Rose Byrne in this. No surprise there. She has a potentially unlikable role and adds likability to it that isn't on the page. I forgot how much I could like Bobby Cannavale. He's normally cast as a villain (Spy), an antihero who is more "anti" than "hero" (Vinyl), or a sort of irritant (Ant-Man). In this, he's just a nice guy who does some stupid things. It's a good use of him. Kroll is fine. I can't say much more than that. His character is pretty prickly and Kroll isn't quite lovable enough to make it work. Fine will have to do.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Where is the Indie Movie Handbook and where can I burn it? There's always the dead parent who derailed at least one child's life or a cheating husband or a family member who escaped the family for the big city. If you need proof that it's all one big formula, I was just describing This Is Where I Leave You, not Adult Beginners.

One Last Thought: Paula Garces is looking good for 40. She's in the Kelly Hu club of people who could still play someone in their 20s for a longer time than they were actually in their 20s.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment