Monday, July 30, 2012

Top Comedy Movies of 2011

I think that eight months into 2012, I've seen enough of the comedies from 2011 to bring back my Top and Bottom movies list. To recap, unlike most things I make into ranked lists, there's absolutely no metric used to make this list beyond what I think is the subjective "best" or "worst comedy movie of the year. That said, if you disagree, that's because you are wrong.

A quick recap of what I'm doing here.

Top
1. Bridesmaids

Certainly the most high profile comedy of the year and rightfully so. Hilarious from beginning to end. I love me an Apatow production and I'm glad to see a group of TV actors stepping up so commandingly. It got a lot of praise for the female dominated cast, but I think that diminishes the comedic achievement. This is a quality comedy, no qualifiers needed.

2. Crazy, Stupid Love

No RomCom since Nine Months has had a singular scene as funny as the shit-hits-the-fan scene in this movie. Something I find really impressive is how few of the actors are known for comedies in this. It pretty much solidified my opinion of both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

3. The Muppets

I really expected this to be a bigger hit with it's broadly appealing cavalcade of cameos, nostalgia factor for the adults, and, well, puppets for the children. Regardless, it is almost impossible to not smile from beginning to end. A lot of the humor is punny and obvious in the most endearing way. This is a transparent labor of love for Jason Segel in the best way.

4. A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas

I am shamelessly infatuated with this franchise, I admit. The third outing is easily the weakest of the series, but it is still immensely enjoyable. The decision to take on Christmas had me giddy since pre-production began.

5. Bad Teacher

Hey look, it's Jason Segel again, although I shouldn't kid myself. This was a Cameron Diaz vehicle and she knocked it out of the park. Before this movie, I never would've believed she could evoke the same pathos that Billy-Bob Thorton did in Bad Santa, a close cousin of this movie, even if it didn't have any of the same people in common (I checked and find that fact remarkable).

6. Horrible Bosses

Probably the best premise of any movie in 2011. I question the execution of concept, and Kevin Spacey kind of took over too much of the movie, but Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis are all names that put me in a seat and it had enough laughs throughout.

7. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil *

It's rare that a one joke concept can effectively be stretched out into a feature film, but they did it effectively. Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk use their broadly comedic chops wonderfully. I even give Katrina Bowden credit for trying to do comedies even if she is far from developed as an actress. And, I should mention, this easily has 2 or 3 of the funniest scenes of the year.

* Boxofficemojo lists it as 2011, IMDB lists it as 2010. I hadn't seen it till after I made the last list, so STFU.

HONORABLE MENTION

Our Idiot Borther
Paul Rudd, Zooey Deschanel, Rashida Jones, Adam Scott, Elizabeth Banks, Emily Mortimer, Kathryn Hahn. How could you go wrong with a cast like that? As it turns out, you can. Still, all the talent on screen powers through the material and still leaves you with a greatly endearing, albeit simple, movie.

Midnight in Paris
When a Woody Allen movie works, it works. And, Owen Wilson plays a good Woody Allen.

Your Highness
A movie so bad that it's good and then bad again but never unwatchable. I feel like I need to see it stoned.

30 Minutes or Less
It wasn't bad. It just wasn't all that great.

Young Adult
It isn't a greatly funny movie, but it has some good moments, and Charlize Theron is dynamite in this. Love her or hate her, you're going to hate her...and love it

50/50
Honestly, I want to list this because I like the cast and respect Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg for using their Superbad and Pineapple Express goodwill to make it.

Everything Must Go
Ok, it's not a comedy, really. However, it has Will Ferrell so that's what it's called, I like him going dramatic, and this is my list.

Hesher
It's a shame Rainn Wilson can't attach himself to a successful bigger-budget movie. He's solid in this and Super.


Past Years:
Top Comedy Movies of 2010
Top Comedy Movies of 2009
Top Comedy Movies of 2008
Top Comedy Movies of 2007
Top Comedy Movies of 2006
Top Comedy Movies of 2005
Top Comedy Movies of 2004
Top Comedy Movies of 2003
Top Comedy Movies of 2002
Top Comedy Movies of 2001
Top Comedy Movies of 2000
Top Comedy Movies of 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment