Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pre Emmy Nomination Thoughts


Ugh, it's about time for the Emmys again. Not really, but the nominees are announced on 7/17 and the ceremony is about a month after that. For someone like myself though, that means they are right around the corner.

I thought about doing a primer like Hitfix does, but frankly, they do a better and more informed job than myself. Also, I don't know how to make slideshows like they do. And, frankly, I'd rather just rant or make a crudely structured list using only as many images as I'm motivated to include*. It's what I do. It's why this is a blog. It's why most of my hits come from me reading my own posts because I find myself endlessly and tirelessly entertaining.

*I'm not buying Photoshop either.

Going into this year, I have a few small hopes. I don't think they are a lot to ask. Let's run through them, shall we:

1) Let's not nominate all the above age 30 cast of Modern Family. I get that the show is popular with the Emmys. All 6 co-leads (I can't honestly call them all supporting actors) were not better than almost every other supporting character in a comedy this year. I'm not sure any of them were, but I accept that they are getting some nominations. I'd even accept one of the kids on the show getting nominations over the adults. At least that would be interesting and it's not like the kids were appreciably (if at all) worse than the adults. I'd argue they were better a lot of the time.
While I'm at it, I appreciate the lack of ego in the cast by all submitting as supporting players, but can't we take that a step further? You know, if you have won an Emmy, drop out of the field or automatically submit as a lead. I just can't see Eric Stonestreet win again. Fizbo was great and deserving. Nothing this year was.

2) Let Community sneak in with a nomination. I don't even expect it to be in acting. Something like "Remedial Chaos Theory" has to be deserving of something for Writing or Directing, right?

3) Let's swap some Mad Men awards. The show is great and arguably deserving of it's best Drama wins. How about this though? Give a couple actors wins in exchange for a show like Breaking Bad or even Homeland getting best drama. Cranston should loosen his reign too. He's the best actor on TV, no doubt, for his work in Breaking Bad, but three wins is plenty. I long ago accepted that the Emmys are only 50% (at best) merit-based anyways, so who is it hurting to shake it up some?

4) Don't give Modern Family best writing or directing. It dominated those categories in a 30 Rock-esque manner. That's boring. Give them the wins, sure, but not all the nominations. M.F. submitted 9 episodes for writing this year. I'm scared to look at the number for directing. That's a ridiculous and pompous number. Let's let Parks and Rec. into the field or something.

5) Remember Louie. I'll be sad if last year's nominations were a fluke. That show is so great and unique. I'm shocked it didn't scare Emmy voters away from the beginning. Don't back down now.

6) Can we snub CBS? Only to teach them a lesson. Two Broke Girls is awful. How I Met Your Mother was weak, creatively. Big Bang was solid, but Jim Parsons gets all the attention and two wins is enough for him. CSI...is still on the air (really? I didn't realize). Two and a Half Men was, let's just say, not any better than when it was "Winning". The Good Wife, I have nothing against, but there must be victims in this war.

7) Give the CW a throwaway nomination. They deserve it for being such good sports.

8) Can we please have a nomination for a cancelled series? Those are always fun "pie in the face" moments for networks.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have plenty more thoughts on 7/18.


No comments:

Post a Comment