Friday, September 16, 2011

Emmy Predictions (Part 5) - Miniseries, Movies, and Variety

Outstanding Miniseries or TV Movie
Cinema Verite (HBO)
Downton Abbey (PBS)
The Kennedys (ReelzChannel)
Mildred Pierce (HBO)
The Pillars of the Earth (Starz)
Too Big to Fail (HBO)

This is a category I know little about and care little about. No real reason for this. Like most people, I simply never have. It is really unfair for the TV movies under the new combined category. How can a single movie compete with the depth and breadth of a mini series?
First thing's first. If your network pluralizes with the letter 'z', I can't take you seriously. So, goodbye The Kennedys and The Pillars of the Earth. They each have their own issues like The Kennedys getting dropped by History channel after putting down major cash for it.
This category is HBO's bitch, so I counting out Downton Abbey for no other reason than it's network affiliation.
From here it gets easy. (My Favorite) Cinema Verita is the nominee I most want to see because the topic interests me the most.
(Dark Horse) Too Big to Fail sounds like it is calling out a bluff. I'm putting it on upset alert due to sheer start power though.
That leaves (Winner) Mildred Pierce to win. It's an HBO miniseries. I don't even care what it's about. That's enough for me.

Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series
The Colbert Report (Comedy Central)
Conan (TBS)
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (Comedy Central)
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (NBC)
Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)
Saturday Night Live (NBC)

How to narrow these down? Easiest to start with the new guy. I get the feeling no one told voters that Late Night is no longer hosted by Connan O'Brien. That's the only reason I can think that Lopez Tonight didn't get consideration...What's that now? Canceled?! Bummer.
Otherwise, this is a very exclusive clubs with a lot of bridesmaids.
This is the 4th consecutive nomination for Saturday Night Live, but you have to go back to 1993 for the last of it's 2 wins. Considering the wins came for it's first season and then in it's 90s Renaisance, this was not the sort of breakthrough season it needs to win.
Real Time with Bill Maher is celebrating it's 7th consecutive nomination (I still don't know why) with no sign of picking up steam.
With 6 nominations and some wins for writing, The Colbert Report is perhaps the strongest contender.
My vote for dark horse has got to be the man who's name is chased by emmy nominations: Conan O'Brien. While this is just (Dark Horse) Conan's first season, his stint on The Tonight Show and Late Night have all bagged nominations. Six, in fact, since Leno's last nomination. Team Coco all the way!
The winner though? Let's see. 11 straight nominations. 8 consecutive wins. Picking (Winner) (My Favorite) The Daily Show is the easiest pick of the night.

Biggest Oversite: Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
I'm pretty new to this show, but I've watched enough to know that it is vastly more entertaining than it's NBC counterpart. Honestly, I have one theory as to why Late Night got the nomination instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSAwOcFr_VE

No comments:

Post a Comment